This Bill had its second reading in Parliament today.
The key issues in the Bill are:
– accountability of the police and the introduction of Police and Crime Commissioners (elected)
– the introduction of new licensing laws to curb binge drinking
– minor changes to Universal Jurisdiction so that the Director of Public Prosecutions decides on arrest warrants for foreign war criminals who come to this country as opposed to district judges
– ensuring that Parliament Square can be used for protests, but not used as a permanent encampment.
– new powers to deal with legal highs
There was a good debate with Labour supporting much (but definitely not all) of the content.